February 6, 2011

Getting healthy (finally!)

No, this will be not a blog rife with sarcasm and social commentary.

Ok, maybe it will. But this one will be a little more focused.

First things first. I love myself. I know that I'm smart and beautiful and funny. And honestly? I think everyone should know those things about themselves. I tend to be a pretty sarcastic, and maybe even a little skeptical, but I really think that even my worst enemies should feel like they're worth something. And I say that because I know that when you can't be happy just being yourself, its hard to be happy about anything else.

That being said, there are things we all want to change. For me, my weight is one of those things. I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin, but I also know that if I could lose weight, not just for the sake of looks, but for my health too, I would be that much happier with my life.

So I'm doing it! I'm getting in shape, damn it! I don't want my high school body back, I want to look BETTER than I did in high school.

But how, you ask?!

It's actually pretty easy so far. I've been using MyFitnessPal.com, which my lovely mother introduced me too. At first I figured having to type in every little morsel I eat was going to be a huge pain in the ass. Oddly enough, though, I'm actually really enjoying it. It's nice to be conscious of what I'm putting in my body. And the beautiful thing is, I'm NOT on a diet!! I'm eating all the food I've always loved, but with attention to things like calories, fat, and most of all, portions. Do you know how easy it is to eat way too much because you aren't thinking about it? VERY VERY EASY. Writing it all down has forced me to stop doing that. And the thing I like so much about MFP is that they have an amazing food database that has almost everything you could ever think of with calories, fat, carbs, and protein already there. Click and add food -- and you're done.

Working out is the more challenging venture in this weight loss expedition. But, I've been doing some kind of exercise nearly everyday. How, you ask?

I'm working out with my mom. We keep each other motivated, and have come up with a few different ways to keep ourselves on track. It's really nice to have someone who will make me work out even when I don't want to. And on days when she's not feeling the workout, I motivate her. It's an elementary concept that works so well if you actually just DO IT.

So far I've lost 1.5 lbs. It's a start that I'm very proud of, and I'm sticking to it. And someday, when I get down to the weight I want to be, I may even show you my before and after pictures ;)

-S

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I love our workouts! (Especially getting stickers on the calendar!) You GO Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! I'm doing weight watchers, and I've lost almost 5 pounds in 7 weeks :) I totally know what you mean about working out, which is why I'm taking a phys ed class, then I don't have to schedule a work out because it's already there.

    ReplyDelete